August 28, 2002

Board Members Attending

Mr. Bill Bush, Arkansas Geological Commission
Ms. Phyllis Smith, U of A at Little Rock
Ms. Suzanne Wiley, U of A Cooperative Extension Service
Ms. Susan Cromwell, Fayetteville Public School District
Ms. Shirley Sandlin, Benton County Assessor
Mr. Chris Boudreaux, Conway Corporation
Mr. Mike McGibbony, Department of Information Systems
Dr. Fred Limp, CAST
Mr. Jubal Smith, Entergy

Board Members Not Present

Mr. Earl Smith, Arkansas Soil & Water Conservation Commission
Mr. Randy Jones, First Electric Cooperative Corporation
Mr. Jim Wells

Attending By Video Conference


LIB Advisory Panel

None Present

Arkansas Geographic Information Office

Mr. Shelby Johnson, State Geographic Information Coordinator
Mr. Learon Dalby, GIS Program Manager
Mrs. Leann Manning
Ms. Bethany Holmes


Mr. Erik Blaty, Department of Parks and Tourism
Mr. Kelly Boyd, Governor’s Office
Mr. Mike Kemp, CIO Office
Mr. Jason Donham, Arkansas Soil and Water Conservation Commission


The meeting was called to order. The minutes of the last meeting of June 18, 2002 were approved and accepted unanimously.

Report from State Geographic Information Office

Update on ECIO

Shelby Johnson announced that Governor Huckabee has appointed Ms. Carolyn Osborne to the position of Chief Information Officer.

Arkansas Digital Ortho Program

Learon Dalby announced that all of the aerial photography for the state has been received. All files have been received and all state deliverables have been processed. Remainders have been sent to USGS and they are in the process of QAQC. They are reporting that everything is passing validation. All data has been passed on to the GeoStor staff and is now available through GeoStor as well as VMFTP site.

Arkansas Centerline Street File

Shelby reported that on September 5, 2002 the centerline standard will be presented to the ALC Rules and Regulations Committee for final review. One technical amendment to the standard has been identified, concerning driveways. The amendment is, if a driveway is 500 feet or longer and or has two or more addressable structures, that driveway should be mapped. This incorporation will be made into the standard and it will be passed before the review board.

Shelby elaborated on how important the centerline program is to the state. He gave an example of an evacuation notification in Columbia County that did not include all of the streets. The county purchased a system from a vendor who claimed would be at a certain percentage accurate. After an investigation it was found that commercially enhanced Tiger Data is not remotely accurate enough for the application. If the centerline standard had been in place this could have been avoided. If standards are in place and if a vendor wants commercially enhance for a particular area, our standards would be used and thereby achieve greater accuracy and consistency statewide.

SR22 E-Plat Filing Project

Shelby reported that The Arkansas Society of Professional Surveyors has been acting as the group who is studying this resolution. At the meeting of Joint Committee on Advanced Communication and Information Technology, Representative Ted Mullinx made a presentation about their report. They plan to bring some legislative changes and some appropriation to begin work on the development of an electronic plat filing system. The system would be administered by the State Land Surveyors Office. It would enable the surveyor the capability to use all of his technology to produce a file, port it to a portable document format, and then file it on line rather than filing it in several different places on paper.

If this effort moves forward and is successful in the legislative session, it is recommended that the board consider supporting it.

AGIO Staffing Update

Shelby reported that with the assistance of Doug Elkins and Mike McGibbony, funding has been put into place to build the office staff. The search process for a GIS Specialist and a Project Management Analyst is underway. In four to six weeks, plans are to add a GIS Applications Specialist to assist in providing education and a GIS Cadastral Specialist.

Homeland Security

Shelby reported that The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management held a meeting inviting a number of state agencies and asked them to provide an update on how individual state agencies would participate and assist the state in making our homeland secure. In response we took the seven fundamental recommendations that the board endorsed during the previous meeting and delivered a report that highlighted some of the major things that this board and this office has undertaken to support and assist the homeland security effort. The seven recommendations are:

  1. The state needs to take quick action to develop a redundant operational version of GeoStor with the Department of Information Systems

  2. The state must develop a road centerline database that will form the fundamental map layer to support detection, planning and response to events. The layer should be accessible to GeoStor.

  3. The Land Information Board in cooperation with ADEM should seek appropriate funding mechanisms that would enable counties to acquire and develop GIS to support homeland security efforts.

  4. The Geographic Information Office in cooperation with ADEM should promote the development of road centerline database and GIS education to County Judges, County OES Coordinators and County 911 Directors.

  5. ADEM in coordination with the Geographic Information Office should acquire an experienced GIS staff member to assist in the Geo Spatial coordination activities.

  6. The staff member should be assigned at the Arkansas Geographic Information Office during the development phases of the road centerline database.

  7. Establish Regional Disaster Response Technical Centers at Arkansas high schools where there is GIS equipment, software, resources and expertise.

Kym Patterson, has been designated to participate in the homeland security committee. Kym has requested that Shelby attend the next meeting.

Health Department Bio-Terrorism Staff Requirements

Shelby reported that a presentation and proposal was made to Jerry Perkins, IT Director for the Department of Health, concerning the road centerline initiative and the value of the program. Pursuant to this the Department of Health has included a GIS person in their staffing requirements. Shelby explained he will help with the interview process to hire this person and the person selected will be detailed to the Geographic Information Office for a period of a least one year to assist in the road centerline project.

I-Team Plan

Shelby reported the plan is not finished yet but should be in the next couple of days. Shelby explained there are other initiatives at the Federal level that will be looking at state I-Team Plans for a leverage point on their initiatives. They will be relying on a lot of figures from the I-Team Plans which may mean for those states that have submitted an I’ Team plan may be in the que ahead of other states to receive any potential funding.

Arkansas Association of Counties

All of the land use cover maps were distributed at the Arkansas Association of Counties Annual Conference. Shelby will distribute the remainder of the maps at the County Judge’s Conference. Post letter follow up will be sent out by mail. Shelby reported we will be on the agenda for the Assessor’s Conference Shelby said all feedback was positive and they were very well received. Suzanne reported that all maps have been rolled and attached to the letter. A memo from Dr. Lyle is to go out to District Directors in every County Extension Office in the state. Shelby announced that Bruce Campbell, Director of the Department of Rural Services, is to host a fall retreat for the Legislators and has extended an invitation for us to attend and distribute maps to the Legislators.

There is a linkage on line for the maps through the Land Use Land Cover Website.


Shelby received word by mail last week that the Urban Regional Information Systems Association honored us with Honorable Mention in their Exemplary Systems in Government Enterprise category.

AHTD Research Grant

Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department data continues to be a top ranking data set. Shelby reported that we proposed to them to streamline a process in updating their data into GeoStor. Another proposal was to integrate all of the historical aerial photography into GeoStor and a third component of the proposal was the capability to connect through their enterprise level GIS database and directly write into the GeoStor database. Shelby participated in a panel review with their GIS Steering committee and the aerial photography proposal was rejected. They also rejected the transactional database update portion of the proposal. They did however have some additional data they wanted to add. There is a change in the initiatives they want to pursue and the existing draft is being retooled. It will be taken back to that committee to seek their approval for this research grant to extend some of the capabilities in GeoStor. The most significant change requested by them was to include their Geodetic database into GeoStor.

Arkansas View Consortium

Shelby reported Dr. Limp attended the America View Consortium meeting in Sioux Falls. Fred reported that Arkansas received a funding award which will allow the creation of a facility with a 20 seat PCI based remote sensing training facility to be located in the Cooperative Extension. The America View Consortium is negotiating with companies to acquire copies of software to be made available at either a low or reduced cost.

Arkansas School District Boundary File

Phyllis Smith reported that they are assisting the Secretary of States office with a project that involves accurate presentation of boundaries. This is the first statewide project where digital orthos are being used as the base. Deadline for the project is the end of the year.

GeoStor and National Map

National Map Pilot Activities

Dr. Limp reminded the group that Shelby has been working carefully with the national mapping group to develop a MOU. Shelby explained that they are exploring the placement of a person to be located at the Water Resources Division here in Little Rock. This person will serve as a mapping and technical coordination point with GIS and all of the other state agencies that utilize and rely on their data. Dr. Limp reported there is another effort going forward to look at the GeoStor architecture as a pilot or proof of concept for national map sites and other things of this kind. There is an effort to locate a technical USGS person in Fayetteville to work with the GeoStor development team in that regard. In that respect the National Map Center has a direct connect access into GeoStor.

GeoStor Development and Usage

Dr. Limp distributed status documents to the group. The standard usage status report showed we are up to 33,000 downloads. All of the DOQQ data is available for direct downloads. He reported that things are moving along and seem to be going very effectively.

Two new major data sets have been added since the last meeting, the National Elevation Data set, and the National Hydro Data set.

Board Decisions and Old Business

Legislative Session Planning

Susan Cromwell opened the discussion concerning the business model draft. The business model will provide the foundation and rational for the funding request. Shelby explained the model provides a sense of direction for ways to support and identify revenue while still meeting the mandates. The business model will differentiate the dollars it will take to provide the core as a state public office (GIS). Fred went over other features that could be added.

Kelly Boyd related that Governor Huckabee’s vision for the state as a whole is to take state government to the citizens in the most seamless manner possible. He feels the state agencies would provide funding to make these services available and accessible to the citizens of Arkansas. He encouraged the board to seek outside funding. The more funding raised the better justification when it is presented to the Legislature.

Discussion followed concerning the ROI model and using value added services to develop justification for the project.

AGIO Appropriation

Shelby discussed the mechanism that was used in the last session to get the GIS fund established. The appropriation was made through DIS, OIT and then actually funded through general improvement funds. The question has been whether or not the board should seek appropriation or have a section of appropriation inside the ECIO office.

Carolyn Osborne, has related to Shelby that her vision is for the GIS appropriation to be a component of the ECIO appropriation bill.

Definition of Agency in Legislation

Shelby explained that in our law agency means any agency or instrumentality of the state which utilizes GIS data. Suzanne related that in Act 242, the ECIO Legislation, there is a definition of agency which includes cities and counties. There was discussion relating on how to obtain buy in from cities and counties.

Shelby explained Southwestern Bell is promoting a package called MAPSTAR. MAPSTAR is a computerized dispatch system that requires centerline data to be structured a certain way and is not the same structure as the road centerline standard. He related how this could cause problems in the future.

Board Policy Action (GeoStor Data Import)

Susan stressed that standards are important because people want to upload and distribute data through GeoStor. The board needs to figure out how to articulate standards to potential customers. A handout was distributed containing the proposed data acquisition and loading priorities. The board was asked to review the information. Action will be taken at the next board meeting to adopt a policy.

SDSFIE Task Force Recommendations

Chris Boudreaux gave a report on the SDSFIE technology that standardizes database models for GIS and CAD applications. This report was distributed to the board members. The consensus of the task force members is that database standardization is a necessary next step to ensure that total return on investment is achieved by AGIO projects such as GeoStor and the centerline projects. The board reviewed the recommendations. A motion was made to accept SDSFIE as a spatial data guideline. The motion was seconded and the recommendation was accepted unanimously.

Amendment to ACF

Driveways greater than 500 feet and or have two or more structures need to be included in the standard. A motion was made to amend the standard; it was seconded and accepted unanimously.

New Business

FEMA Flood Map Modernization Strategic Plan

Jason Donham gave a report on the FEMA Map Modernization Program. Flood maps are the most important thing in implementing this program. Communities are using these maps to determine who is in the flood plain and who needs to develop to the standards of their ordinance. Most of the maps being used are old maps from the 70’s. Now for the first time official FEMA maps can be obtained on line and downloaded.

Mr. Donham reported that President Bush has put money into his budget for flood mapping. This money will be distributed among the ten FEMA regions. Mr. Donham emphasized the importance of GIS getting involved and using available information to make sure Arkansas will get the greatest benefit from the funds available.

Arkansas Assessment Coordination Department Assessor Mapping Program

Shelby reported that ACD has negotiated vendor contracts with an industry leading software vendor. The software will be installed and an ACD staff person will be trained on how to use GeoStor.

State Police Vehicle Accident Tracking System

Shelby reported they are assisting State Police in the area of centerlines.

NSGC Conference

Shelby reported they will attend the NSGC Conference.

Amendment to ACF

Learon discovered the wording on amendment to the ACF standard needed to be changed to say Driveways greater than 500 feet and or have two or more addressable structures need to be included in the standard. A motion was made to include the word addressable to the amendment; it was seconded and accepted unanimously.

Future Meeting Dates

The next potential meeting date is Wednesday, October 2, 2002.

Meeting adjourned 5:30 p.m.